Re: gEDA-user: Task list for: Solving the light/heavy symbol problem

> Hmm, you make up a long and daunting list which is still missing the
> biggest job, bigger than all of the others put together, and then
> when I point this out you assign it to me. Thanks a lot ;-)

I'm Evil that way :-)

Realistically, it's an *excuse* to replace it.  Whether you do or not
is of course up to you.  Replacing it chunk-wise would be just as
good.  Break it down into sub-tasks and get others to help, like I
did.  It just seemed that you had the most to say about the gnetlist
issues, and the most experience with it, so it makes sense that you
should address them.

Plus, if you don't do it, who will?

> Awhile back, Peter B. told me he was close to reimplementing
> gnetlist completely in Scheme. That might be a sensible place to
> start.

Opportunity to pick a more modern language, too.  Something more
os-agnostic, we've had issues with scheme on Windows before.

I'm a Perl fan myself.

> The refactored code is present in 1.7.0. So I think I can continue
> to prototype in Scheme.

Ah, good point brought up - don't worry about backwards compatibility.
We're moving forward here, not fixing bugs, and if users have to bear
a little pain to upgrade, it'll be worth it.