Re: gEDA-user: Need cool first application for gdatabase

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:40:26PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I think gdatabase will come into use out there in any significant volume
> until at least one really cool application is built on it.  I'm looking
> for the right first tool.  I'm hoping that if I spear-head development
> of the first tool, then others will get involved to expand from there.
> In particular, I hope this platform will enhance the open-source
> community's ability to come out with automated EDA tools.
>
> Some ideas:
>
> -- Schematic generator from structural Verilog/VHDL.  It could take
> output from Icarus Verilog and generate .sch and .sym files.  It could
> also possibly generate schematics from the structural portions of RTL
> level Verilog

It would be cool to be able to generate hierarchical schematics from
behavioral verilog.  As someone pointed out to me (Stuart I think it
was), if you're handed someone elses verilog code, making a block diagram
is often a good way to start understanding it.

> -- A netlist translation capability:  Verilog/VHDL/SPICE both in and out
> so we can convert from one to the other.

> -- A PCB place and route tool
There is a [broken I think] placer in pcb as well as a [functional I
think] autorouter.  In general though I expect there's some room in
that project for more attention to the database.

-Dan