Re: gEDA-user: Comments after successfully running gnetman . . ..

Stuart Brorson wrote:

As gschem currently works, the "source" attribute is a "schematic
only" attribute. However, you are attaching it to the symbol. As I
see it, "source" should be a "symbol and schematic" attribute. I have
snooped around gschem to see how to enable this, but haven't figured
out how to do this yet.
Please clarify why the source= attribute is in the symbol file.
Thanks.

Please see my other e-mail.  Also, Bill should say something here.

Stuart

I have to agree with Stuart that having to specify the source= attribute on components in schematics takes some effort. I use the source= attribute on the symbol instead, so it wont have to be entered more than once.

I'll go ahead and make it both a schematic and symbol attribute, as Stuart suggests, so that the user can override the default value on the symbol.

I also liked some of his other suggestions, in particular a way to quickly switch to the symbol for a schematic would be handy. If gschem were emacs, I'm pretty sure I'd be off to the races writing a bit of lisp code to enable this feature in my .gschemrc file. Is this currenlty possible using nothing but guile code? If so, what would be the best aproach for me to take to learn how to do it?

Just some ideas on helping guys like me with the lisp code... Emacs keeps a history of lisp commands I can view, which helps me easily create lisp code to do anything I can do by hand (like opening a symbol file). There's also the help-function facility.

Thanks,
Bill