Re: gEDA-user: which linux?

I build geda and pcb from source code.

My office workstation is running SUSE 9.3 which works fine.
My laptop is also running SUSE 9.3 which works fine
My home computer is running some version of RH9 (time to upgrade) though since it is using gnome 2.0 (I think) I am still using an older version of pcb on it. Ok Ok not quite true.. There is an older version of PCB residing on it but it isn't being used from home. The main reason for me to upgrade.

As a disclaimer: I switched from redhat to suse when redhat dropped support for rh9. While I acknowledge rh had every right to drop support to a product, I was upset that rh would not easily make prorated refunds for support subscriptions. RH had offered what I considered to be an unacceptable upgrade to their workstation corporate version. Since I was using rh9 for servers the workstation addition did not provide the support I felt I had paid for. I had to conduct a very public campeign where I contended (and still do) that this constituted a violation of the US fair trade practice laws. You are not allowed to sell one product and then upsell to another product to provide the user with the level of service you originally promissed.

A further note, I did install fedora on my laptop after the above events due to driver supprt issues and fedora worked wonderfully. I only switched the laptop to suse after the laptop's hard drive died.

Please don't use my distaste for the rh marketing department of ~3 years ago as a reason not to use rh today. rh employs a number of very talented developers from whom we all benefit from having them work on linux and related projects.

Steve M.