Re: gEDA-user: smd challenge board status

On Nov 1, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Steve Meier wrote:

John has it correct.

Well, kinda. I really shouldn't try to explain physics before morning tea ;-)

I should have said "a vacant negative energy state of a negatively charged particle has the same dynamics as an occupied positive energy state of a positively charged particle".

It is facinating reading this text. A modern quantum physics book
presents the theory as cold hard fact... but back in 1930 when it was
brand new Heisenberg was presenting it in an almost appoligetic and not
quite sure manner.

Yes. In 1930 there were many mysteries and it wasn't clear that Dirac's relativistic Hamiltonian for the electron was a step in the right direction. The physical significance of the negative energy states was not yet understood. There were only two "elementary particles": the electron and the proton. Low energy states of the electron seemed adequately described by nonrelativistic theory, but sometimes a very energetic electron would emerge from an atomic nucleus in a process ("beta decay") that seemed not to conserve either energy or angular momentum. Dirac's theory didn't address this: Pauli's neutrinos and Fermi's theory of the weak interaction were in the future.

John Doty Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd. jpd@xxxxxxxxx