Re: gEDA-user: Symbol with 20 pins for a module of 40 connections

On 11/4/06, John Griessen <john_g@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jeff VR wrote:

> I want to connect each of these pairs.  My footprint has 20 pads and
> 20 pins with the following numbering.  Again the primary objective is
> to connect each pair within the symbol that represents this module and
> only have 20 pins visible on the schematic.
> Pad   Pin
> 1        21
> 2        22
> 3        23
> 4        24
> 5        25
> 6        26
> 7        27
> ...       ...
> 20      40

I think you are wanting a pad (no hole)  and a via(with hole) to connect to a
schematic in/out.  If so, you can number them the same in your footprint.  Then
you have just twenty numbers.  You will then have a pad 1 and a pin 1.  The
netlist will then require you to connect them with a trace on the pcb -- think
of that pcb without your module added though...

Your schematic for the module will have no connection to the mother-board unless
you put hierarchy attributes on it.   You've not mentioned wanting hierarchy.
Just make your footprint have the same number for each pair of in/out pin and
pad, then make a symbol with that same numbering with twenty pins total.

John G

I think you are wanting a pad (no hole) and a via(with hole)
Are you suggesting a Pin object with the flag set to via?  If I set
the via flag then I won't be able to bypass the use of the surface
mount connector and solder the module to the pins. Correct?

netlist will then require you to connect them with a trace on the pcb -- think
of that pcb without your module added though...
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Your schematic for the module will have no connection to the mother-board unless
you put hierarchy attributes on it.   You've not mentioned wanting hierarchy.
I call the part a module but it's on off the shelf component.  I
didn't do the schematic for the module.

I made the numbering changes you suggested and that accomplished the
primary objective.

My secondary implied objective was to make this "pair" connection even
for the unused pins of the module.  Obviously since they weren't used
in the schematic this little trick with footprint numbering didn't
work for that objective.  Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.