Re: gEDA-user: replicating pcb layout cells

On 11/6/06, bumpelo@xxxxxxxxxxx <bumpelo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  The script works fine with the latest element file
> > format even though he made it before it existed.
>
> Thats because the (x,y) data for each type of record type (Element,
> Line, .. etc)
> is in the same position in the record and all other data is output verbatim.
> This could break if the  file format changes. If this happens you could
> modify the Pt_fields hash to accept the new format or to accept
> multiple formats.

I'm not sure what your script does, but I would think that the real
"because" reason is that pcb is fully capable of reading all old format
data. It doesn't matter what new file formats look like so long as
you aren't trying to use new features, write in one format and pcb
will always be able to read it.

Not correct. The "because" reason relates to the ability of my program to input a new file format (for which it wasn't designed) and output a correct PCB layout not PCB's ability to read new and old file formats.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org