Re: gEDA-user: LED in reverse

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
On 11/17/06, joeft <joeft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you are talking about a current applied in the "reverse" direction it
won't light up at all.  I haven't looked at the very bright LEDs that
have been marketed recently, but in general I would say that most LEDs
make lousy capacitors and won't store much charge at all.

Actually, diodes and LEDs have been used for varacitors for some time
now, especially in homebrew RF equipment.  They work quite well for
this application.  However, because they're not built for use as
varacitors, they're not *tested* to see how much capacitance they
offer.  Consequently, they can have very wide tolerances.

Don't forget that diodes intended for use as varactors typically have a substantially different doping profile when compared to diodes intended for use as rectifiers.

-Dan