Re: gEDA-user: LED in reverse

On Nov 20, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 09:20:53PM +0100, wk0 wrote:

Some time ago i read the warning for RF transistors that reverse biasing into
breakdown of the E-B junction may significantly increase noise figure.

Does it increase the noise figure permanently or only temporarily?

Permanently.

What if I have a circuit with 2N3904 transistors with 5V break down and it has
12V power supply and on turn-on, a little current at 12V goes through the
junction the wrong way? Do I have to design my circuits to prevent that?

I wouldn't worry about it with a 2N3904. The RF transistors that have this problem have relatively thin, lightly doped base regions making them much more susceptible to damage. Indeed, from a noise figure point of view the 2N3904 is *intentionally* damaged in manufacturing by gold doping to improve saturated switching performance.

jpd@xxxxxxxxx