Re: gEDA-user: Opamps et al...

On 11/20/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I have an op-amp left over unused in a package, what is the
> recommended way of tying its inputs to avoid noise / power consumption?

The only advice I've ever seen is to tie "-" to OUT ( i.e. voltage
follower) then tie "+" to some reference voltage.  You want to avoid
changes in the output.

This is better than the earlier suggestion of tying the inputs to the +/- rails.  If the op-amp input has clamp diodes, "pulling" them apart by more than ~ .7v can cause large currents to flow and  may damage the part.  DJ's idea is a better suggestion.  Using a reference voltage near 0v would probably minimize power consumption.

Joe T