Re: gEDA-user: autorouting

> What solution are geda/pcb users using for autorouting?

I use the built-in one, when I use it at all.  Mostly I hand-route.

> I've had some conversations with folks at http://www.konekt.com and
> they asked if there would be interest from pcb users in a commercial
> autorouter?  It looks like they use the DSN format (whatever that
> is) so a PCB to DSN translator would be needed.

I think this is a good idea, provided it can be done in a way that
doesn't violate the GPL.

Since PCB supports plug-ins now, they can write a DSN plug in (plug
ins may have to be GPL'd) to work with their software.  Since we have
an open file format, they could simply read our files directly.  Or,
they could write a full routing plug-in.

Or, we could write a DSN/RTE plug in, assuming the specs are open.
There seem to be other autorouters using the DSN/RTE interface, too.

Personally, I'd rather have a GPL'd autorouter, but OTOH giving the
user the option to license a much more powerful one is good too.