Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog gathering -- Sunday afternoon, Nov 11th in Kendall Sq, Cambridge (USA)

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 07:49 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> --------------   Free Dog Gathering Announcement ----------------

Can I suggest a few points to consider... (I'll try to make it online
too)

> Some items on the agenda are:
>
> *  Google's Summer of Code -- plans for next year.
> *  How to make friends at MIT?
> *  Gerbv -- let's spin another release.
> *  Hack some code for fun and (no) profit.
> *  Peter's work on gEDA -- the UK overtakes the USA as gEDA
>     development center.

I'm not sure whether you mean me, or Peter B, so Peters' :)

Hopefully with one in person and one via IRC, any myths that we're the
same person  might be dispelled too!. We could persuade Dr. (Peter) Long
to go on IRC at the same time, but that might be confusing and I can't
think of any cryptographically secure test to verify that he's not
another alter-ego.

> *  Whatever you've been up to...

Fully off-screen drawing with only blit updates to the screen. (for
"invalidated" areas which we've drawn to in the back-buffer).

I'd really appreciate it if people could take a look (I'll post
details), and let me know of any remaining issues (mostly due to missed
"invalidate" calls to trigger an on-screen update).

This speeds up gschem quite a lot on composited desktops, however even
on non-composited desktops, the X server spends a lot of CPU time
rendering text if you drag lots of it around.

I'm interested to discuss any ideas for steps which need to be taken to
avoid gEDA and PCB being passed over for use by new potential users.
E.g. this compositing issue and any other things which might put off
users.

Some of our "competitors", whilst not necessarily as feature complete,
or aimed at the same audience may present more inviting learning curve.

I don't intend to reopen the age-old "missing feature" debate, but want
to plan how we can improve the suite without moving away from the
original gEDA philosophy.

How should we manage the testing, development and integration of new and
refactored code?
Should gEDA have a roadmap?
What features will we have / bugs will we fix before the next release?

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,