Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Level DRC DIscussion

Steve Meier wrote:

> What do we expect the schematic DRC to catch?

The problems that apply to *my* situation and *my* technology.  Also,
violations of the in-house design style guides that only I use -- for
instance, require a partnum attribute whose value exists in the
purchasing database.

In other words, generic DRC is largely pointless.  DRC should be
implemented as a DRC engine and a rules database.  Of course, one hopes
that a (or two or three) good, reasonably generic rule sets can ship
with the release.  End users can start with that and tweak to their own
needs.

The trick, it seems to me, is to come up with a clean and readable
syntax for the rule set.  The language needs to be declarative at its
core, and allow user plug-ins written in C (so that I can run SQL
queries against my parts database, for instance.)

-dave