Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf capabilities

On 11/7/07, eswint@xxxxxx <eswint@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I am looking using gEDA/gaf for my own activities ....

Me too.  I think the weakest part of gEDA is the lack of
a good symbol and foot print library.  basically everyone
has to make their own.

What would be great is a translator that could translate
other libraries into gEDA's format.  What's really frustrating
is that if I go to (say) Analog Device's web site they will have
symbols and foot prints for all their parts, but none work with
gEDA.  A translator could fix that problem.

The othr free GPL'd EDA tool is "Kicad".  It is very much like
gEDA in that it is made up of a set of  programs that interact
by passing files.  Kicad has slightly better integraton between
the tools and a much larger symbol/parts library but then
gEDA does some thing better.  When would be good is if the
two Kicad and gEDA could share datafiles.  It would be good
for both projects

--
=====
Chris Albertson