Re: gEDA-user: Gerber view

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:44 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Ian Chapman wrote:
> > 	Stupid question, using gerbv in ubuntu I go
> > Applifations/Education/Gerber viewer and I get the program up and
> > running.  From gerbv I do File/Open project and according to man I
> > should load the project file.
>
>    As an aside...why would it be under "Education"??

Thanks to a supid menu classification system (there, I said it).

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

I don't think gerbv should have Education in its .desktop file, but no
main categories actually fit our needs. "Gerbv" has just picked one.

I'm using "Electronics" and "Engineering" for .desktop files I'm
creating, which are both additional categories - so on some desktops, we
might not appear in any classified menu without special configuration.

I've got the appropriate package for Ubuntu to make a proper menu for
the "Electronics" category, I posted it to the -dev list recently.

There was no response to Hamish's question about better main categories
for things like "Engineering" to cover such applications as ours.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-September/008813.html

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton