Re: gEDA-user: vexing problem: m4:stdin:7: bad expression in eval

Traylor Roger wrote:
> Guys,
>   I have been adding symbols to a schematic I'm
>   building and now the additon of a new symbol
>   causes an error that I cannot figure out.
>
>   Background:
>     gEDA/gnetlist version 20061020, Ubuntu 7.04
>     Four page schematic.
>     Have been making and adding symbols for weeks without problems.
>     Everything working well through to complete layout in pcb.
>     Built a new symbol today.
>     Symbol checks fine with gsymcheck -vv.
>     Did some system updates today in Ubuntu 7.04. Mostly
>     safe stuff like openoffice, firefox; but some linux stuff.
>     (Kicking myself for doing the updates now.)
>   Symptoms:
>    1. Whatever page I put this symbol on, gsch2pcb locks up
>       for 2-3 minutes with the message:
>            m4:stdin:7: bad expression in eval: /2
>       then it says:
>            m4: memory exhausted
>       Then it finishes out things farily normally.
>    2. When this behavior occurs, I see the following from gsch2pcb:
>       R303: added new m4 element for footprint   0805 (value=4.7K)
>       ----
>       : added new m4 element for footprint    (value=)
>       ----
>       Note the last line.  No Refdes, no value.  Odd...

grep footprint= *.sch | sort -u

and post the result.

My guess is you have a footprint name which is not a valid identifier
for m4.  If you have a "-" (that is a dash, not an underscore) for
example as the footprint name it will cause problems.

-Dan