gEDA-user: gEDA cross probing

Dan McMahill wrote:
> Stefan Salewski wrote:

>> May it make sense to start a new PCB layout direct from a view with
>> symbols? Clicking on a symbol (or selecting multiple identical) may pop
>> up a selector box for footprint selection.
>>
>> Of course this is fully incompatible with gEDAs current design.
>>

> the code is there today, right now, that lets you launch pcb from a
> running instance of gschem and when you select a component in gschem,
> then pcb will automatically select it.  This cross probing works the
> other way around too.  Look for pcb.scm in the gschem config file.  It
> is commented out.  I haven't run it in a few years so YMMV.
>
> Net probing won't work because gschem doesn't understand anything about
> connectivity.  That's also why we can't have a click-to plot interface
> for simulators.  Well that and because we don't have a consistent way of
> dealing with hierarchy from *inside* the tool.  I'm told having gschem
> being graphical only is a good thing.

Instead of adding such functionality inside gschem, we can do the work
of creating a workable API for gschem actions first.

We could make it so you start gschem from an
outside project manager app and it gets results from beyond-graphical actions
from the outside program and does cross probing.  All with gschem remaining graphical only,
but controllable and communicating with external apps.

John

Sure, it's hard work.  Sure it deserves a little money compensation for tackling
such big jobs.  The linux fund doesn't seem to promote very well for getting tasks paid for yet.
Has anyone looked at kickstarter.com with funding gEDA development in mind?

I think it could work.  I'll be testing out funding some open hardware projects via kickstarter
and keep you posted on this list.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX