Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL Testers (please test)

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 01:50 +0000, Richard Barlow wrote:

> PCB head: 16.3FPS
> PCB before_pours: 25.2FPS
> PCB local_customisation_no_pours (VBO): 85.6FPS
> PCB local_customisation_no_pours (array): 93.1FPS
>
> All benchmarks were performed three times and averaged.

That as the kind of change I was _hoping_ to see ;)

(Although I've no idea why arrays is faster than VBOs.. it ought not to
be if I've got the code right!)

Perhaps try with the patch I just sent in reply to KMK which moves a
couple of glEnableClientState calls.

I might have to work hard to keep those state changes to a minimum, as
it certainly seems Nvidia think those calls can be expensive. (And
others have reported weird performance drops due to glDisableClientState
calls).

> I have compiz enabled on this computer and tried running the VBO
> local_customisation_no_pours branch with it disabled which gave an
> average frame rate of 89.4FPS. It seems that compiz doesn't affect
> things too much.

No, compiz is surprisingly light on GPU usage. I think the BLITTER
engines do most of the work when rendering non-translucent
non-transformed windows. Might be wrong there though. Whatever though..
compiz should just amount to an extra buffer copy, perhaps with a blend
operation.

You might get a slight improvement without compiz, but it is typically
minimal. I usually test with compiz off just to be sure though.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,