Re: gEDA-user: build date logging/printing

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> Maciej Pijanka wrote:
>
> > I have created small patch that causes gschem to print PACKAGE_BUILD_DATE
> > to log window, i found this usefull when i am not sure which one from
> > compiled i have running where all have same version but different local
> > modifications.
>
> why not to stdout with option --version ?

That would be helpfull only when i have binary not running app.

> How about the "about" dialog in the Help menu?

menu dialog was a first place where i tried to add such info but
it seems to be predefined gtk dialog, with no place for custom info
like git version plus build date, so went to add it to log window

> By the way, what is the intended use of the log window, anyway?
> Is it supposed to be
> a) a way to alert the user about anything unusual.
> b) a diary where gschem should report on every major transaction?

No idea, for some moments log window has not enough usefull info, for another
i hide it completly, maybe some filtering based on message level would be usefull.

--
Maciej Pijanka
I don't fear computers, I fear lack of them -- Isaac Asimov