gEDA-user: Thermal pads overlapping regular SMD pads and solder mask

I'm working on a footprint for an SMD LED (Optek OVS5MWWBCR4) for
which the manufacturer recommends larger SMD pads for thermal reasons,
with appropriately applied solder mask only to the actual electrical
contact areas, presumably important to assist accurate placement of the
LED.

It looks like I can in fact set different solder mask clearances for
overlapping pads, but I have not been able to make a pad entirely
covered with solder mask.  Is this possible?  I found that
doing changeclearsize to 1 mil gave almost complete solder mask
coverage, but some copper was exposed.

See page 10 of the OVS5MxBCR4 data sheet PDF for the recommended PCB
layout. <http://www.optekinc.com/datasheets/OVS5MWWBCR4.pdf>

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips for me on creating a pcb
footprint like the one on page 10 of the data sheet?

Regards,
Colin