Re: gEDA-user: Comments on pcb's g-code exporter & HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC FOSS program for pcb milling

At 05:31 PM 11/11/2010, you wrote:
Alberto,

Thanks for the comments.

On 11/11/2010 04:24 PM, Alberto Maccioni wrote:

With a dxf file, in a CAM program, you can program your fine line cutting with a tiny v bit, then program a>pocket operation with a larger bit to remove the remaining copper.
Are you sure you want to do this? Is it for aesthetic reasons or
because of better isolation?
Besides thrashing large amounts of bits and requiring hours of work it
won't make your pcb's work better; if you need good isolation it's
better to insert several traces between the ones you want to isolate.

I would like to remove floating copper for RF and static electricity reasons. The 'pcb' program thinks that floating copper is enough of an issue to have code to detect and remove it.

I have seen blogs where guys take tweezers and rip the floating copper off the boards they have isolation milled. I would like to have the cnc machine do it. I agree that it will destroy lots of bits, though. It is a trade-off between disposable etching chemicals and disposable bits.

My understanding is that the bits tend to break just at the tip of the conical bit. The broken bits can still be used for removing the floating copper perhaps. This may not apply to your machine as this was a very old machine I saw being used.

Rick