Re: gEDA-user: exporting single pcb layers

On Nov 19, 2010, at 7:56 AM, timecop wrote:

>>        sed -e 's/^\tPin/# &/' -e 's/^\t\(SymbolLine\|Line\)/# &/' -e 's/^Via/# &/'
> In my windows PCB CAD, I click 'Export Gerber' and click a layer.

What if there's no checkbox for the function you need?

> If I don't want vias or pins there, I uh,, click a checkbox.
> GUIs exist for a reason. This is one of those good reasons.

That's why GUI apps end up with 1000 checkboxes with incomprehensible functions, requiring hours of work merely to discover that the special case *you* need wasn't considered by the designers. But the computer-literate user of a well-factored toolkit can incorporate things like that sed command in a Makefile as part of an export action and never have to waste time with a GUI to do that job. Automation.

There's nothing wrong with a simple GUI app targeting a narrow subset of common development paths. But when GUI designers try to cover every possible case, they are effectively attempting to travel a very long road with a short range vehicle.

> 1966 called, wants its LISP interpreter back.

Can have it: the modern LISPs are better.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx