Re: gEDA-user: building 20030901 geda released

Hi Mario,

[snip]
>> 	libstroke is a non-gEDA/gaf specific library, so I don't search
>> for it in any user accessable directories.  In the ./configure script
>> I assume that it is installed as a system library.  Perhaps this is a
>> bug.
>
>It depends on how you define 'system library'. IMHO you should not
>assume, that it is installed in /lib or /usr/lib and give the user an
>option to specify additional locations, where to look for this library.

	You are, of course, correct.  The ./configure scripts should
have a mechanism to find libs in non-standard places.  All the other
librarys either use a *config script or pkg-config.

[snip]
>> 	As you discovered this is the right way to get libraries into
>> the search path for the ./configure script.
>
>Although this may work with every autoconfigure generates ./configure,
>it iseems a bit ncommon to me, having build autoconfig controlled
>projects for almost a decade.

	Foo.  I couldn't bluff my way out of this one. :)  On
that note, I have added a --with-stroke=directory command line flag
to ./configure so that now every library can be install in $prefix and
nothing needs to be installed in any system library.

								-Ales