Re: gEDA-user: Hierarchy viewer and database proposal

Hi Carlos,

[snip]
>I think the current behaviour is not coherent. If I place a 7400
>(multislotted), gschem will draw in the schematic the symbol
>corresponding to slot 1, but no "numslots" neither "slot" attributes are
>defined.

	True.  It is assumed that the default place is slot=1.

>A mixed solution could be that gschem defines "slot" and "numslots"
>attributes ONLY for multislotted parts. Then, the DRC backend could
>assume (and it could do it only because that definition is automatic)
>that parts without those attributes are non-multislotted parts.

	Yes.  If the slot or numslot attribute are not present (though
numslots=0 should be present; if it is not, then that is a bug in the
symbol and there are lots of such examples in the current library),
then assume that the component is not slotted.

	If the slot=N attribute is present, then the component is
assumed to be slotted and should be checked to make sure N <= numslots
etc...

	I just checked the symbol library.  All symbols that have a slot=1
attribute also have a numslots=N attribute.  There are also symbols with
numslots=0 and those do not have a slot= attribute.  There are no symbols
which have a numslots=0 and also a slot=1 attribute (unless my script
is wrong).

							-Ales