Re: gEDA-user: building under Cygwin

Hi,

[snip]
>However, I am a Cygwin user, and would prefer to not have to also use MinGW.
>  I just attempted to build gEDA under Cygwin and had the build process dump
>me saying, "Building gEDA/gaf under cygwin is not supported."  Since MinGW
>is actually a fork of Cygwin, it ought to be quite similar.  Also, the
>required libraries (guile, gtk, etc.) are available as prebuilt packages
>under Cygwin.  So build process in principal could be simpler than in MinGW.

	Yeah, as you found, the gEDA/gaf software did use cygwin at some
point, however, back in those days, I ran into a lot of trouble with guile.
Maybe these problems have been fixed now, but guile wasn't too happy with
how cygwin was translating paths.   Also, I found that the path translation
that cygwin was doing was causing more grief than good.  Moving over to
mingw seemed like a good idea, especially since the mingw port was much
faster.

>  What would it take to make the build work under Cygwin?  I did notice that
>the Cygwin was the Win32 platform of choice in some of the older versions.

	It should just be a matter of forcing the configure script to
accept the fact that you are using cygwin instead of mingw (probably
just a matter of commenting out:

# Figure out if we are building on win32 and what environment.
case $host_os in
  *cygwin*  ) AC_MSG_ERROR([Building gEDA/gaf under cygwin is not supported]) ;;
  *mingw32* ) echo "Configuring for mingw"; MINGW=yes ;;
esac

and setting MINGW to yes.  You might have to fudge with the configure scripts
to get the right PATHSEP and OTHERPATHSEP set (since cygwin is more unix like
than win32 like).

I would start there and see what happens.  If you have any questions or
get stuck somewhere, let me know and I'll try to help.  If you do get it
working, I would appreciate a set of patches (which just add cygwin
support and leave the mingw support alone).  Thanks.

								-Ales