Re: gEDA-user: HPS announce

After a few quick calculations regarding the power supply filter capacitance,
I think you should spec a different transformer.  With the transformer you
have specified:  Vfl = 16.968Vp, I used this for my calculations even though
you are not using full rated current draw for the transformer.  Vout = 12.0V.
According to National Semiconductor the voltage accros the regulator could be
2.5V worse case.  I used Vf = 0.7V  for the diode.  Subtract all the drops
from the transformer voltage, this leaves you with the maxinum ripple voltage
accros the capacitor.  dV = 1.768V.  Assuming a full load current the filter
capacitor for the 12 volt supply should be >47000 mfd.  The 5V supply will
require an even larger capacitor.

I may be under estimating the transformer ratings, and over estimating the
dropout voltage, but is that what a good designer should do?