Re: gEDA-user: Uninstall guide

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:38:24 +0200
Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apart from install guide I suggest also unistall guide would be placed
> to gEDA homepage, and reinstall guide (how to reinstall old version of
> gEDA with a new one) as well.

How about first installing modules from modules.sourceforge.net and then compile each tarball of geda into its own /opt jail and then load the environment settings on the command line before you start geda? Then you don't need to think about removing anything, and old versions of geda will live happily ever after and you can reach that module as simple as

 $> module load geda/20010101
 $> gschem

Then switch to the default version>
 $> module unload geda
 $> module load geda
 $> gschem

I have used modules for years and at work we have hundreds of EDA tools which are loadable with modules. You can have centralized setup of modules and you can create your own.

This wasn't as much an install guide as more an idea how to eliminate the problem for good. (As long as disk space is cheap ....)
--
Svenn