Re: gEDA-user: How we solved installation on Unix

On Friday 28 Oct 2005 22:32, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Our web browser (I wrote 1/4 of it) is a single executable.
> Everything is compiled in, including font data.

A degenerate solution is no help for the general case. gEDA uses
multiple third-party libraries, and comprises multiple independently
developed applications.

Yes, gEDA needs to get better at installing and uninstalling. I'm sure
this is known by the developers. However developers are not the best
people to make this happen; they spend all day compiling bits and
pieces, but they hardly ever run the install tool or the uninstall
tool, and they never get into .so hell. People like you and me are the
best people to work on this - users without a full and correct
development environment and with strange and unexpected machine
configurations.

Since I'm the best person for the job, I'm not going to complain that
nobody is fixing it.

--
Richard Urwin