Re: gEDA-user: Dropping a few volts

On Friday 12 October 2007 11:48:12 am John Doty wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2007, at 7:20 AM, Randall Nortman wrote:
> > So I have a 42VDC supply that I want to feed into a linear regulator.
> > But almost all linear regulators want 40V absolute maximum, and the
> > ones that have higher maximums are not reliably stocked anywhere.
>
> What's wrong with an LM317HV?

They have a tendency to explode in my experience with them.
The TI TL783 does not.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tl783.html

There are also high-voltage regulators, for lower currents,
based on Depletion-FETs from Supertex:

LR8, LR12, LR645, LR745.  Put those in the "Search" box.
Supertex has the *worst* web site of all of the semiconductor
places I deal with.  If you don't already know that they make it,
you don't know they make it.  Every "improvement" to the site
they make, makes things harder to find.

--
                http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/