Re: gEDA-user: Schottky symbol polarity

On Sunday 14 October 2007, Randall Nortman wrote:
> The issue is that schottky-1.sym has the cathode on pin 1
> while all the other diodes (that I've checked) have pin 2 as
> the cathode.  Is this just an old mistake that can't be fixed
> now because we have to preserve backward-compatibility?  Or
> is there some logic to this?  Is there any way to add a
> visible warning to the symbol (as an attribute, presumably,
> or permanent text) without breaking backward compatibility,
> and then create schottky-2.sym with the correct polarity?
>
> I ask because I just ran into it (again) myself, and it was
> only a little voice inside my head saying "Wait, wasn't there
> some problem with this symbol that you ran into last time?"
> that kept me from doing it wrong again.  Granted, it only
> makes the silkscreen wrong, so once you figure out you've
> made the mistake you can just mount the part the other way.
>  But still, that's a mistake that could fry some components
> if you don't catch it in time.

It's a bug.   The bug is obvious, in the symbol file. The pinseq
numbers are wrong.

It doesn't translate correctly to VHDL or Verilog either.  The
pin names are not transferred to the netlist.

The VHDL and Verilog netlisters do not use the correct port
names.  They use the "pinseq" number instead.

The pin names in schottky-1.sym are not the standard names "a"
and "c".  Instead, it uses the more logical but non-standard
names "anode" and "cathode".

Are the "pinseq" numbers used for anything other that for the
Spice netlister?