Re: gEDA-user: gEDA for terminal strip layout?

Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 13:26 -0700, Joerg wrote:
>> Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> Just for the record: I have a lot of CAD experience but gschem is also
>> very new to me so I can only tell you what's customary. I am sure gschem
>> can do all this but for now someone else would have to explain how.
>>

>>> I'm new to the electronic circuit design world and just went through
>>> the gschem and pcb tutorial on seul.org.  In my case, however, the
>>> output is not a PCB, but a terminal strip using DIN rail components;
>>> e.g. connector blocks from Phoenix Contact
>>> (http://www.phoenixcontact.ca/)
>>>
>>> My dilemma is: for design purposes I'd like to create a nice simple
>>> circuit diagram of the kind created by pschem; however, for actually
>>> building the device I need a second diagram showing the terminal blocks
>>> and connections between them.  I'm leery of maintaining two separate
>>> diagrams and would like to have the second generated semi-automatically
>>> from the first, much like the PCB layout is generated from the schematic.
>>>
>> That is not customary. You normally have three sets of documents:
>>
>> a. Bare board docs: These are the Gerber, fab instructions etc.
>
> The OP was asking about schematics for industrial cabinet wiring, as far
> as I could tell. DIN rail, contactors etc...

Ok, then he could draw it all on the schematic layer. It only becomes
problematic when you have a circuit board with some parts and spade lug
blocks on there to which loose wiring is to be connected that includes
runs from one place on the PCB to another.

> There are some useful symbols for power systems designed by Jacek
> Plucinski here:
>
> http://jacek-tools.110mb.com/

Excellent. It would be good to place a link on the gEDA site to those folks.

> There isn't any automated layout tool in gEDA designed for cabinet
> wiring with physical objects. (I haven't heard of any commercially
> either, but that doesn't mean there aren't any).
>
> [snip]
>
>> If you really want to do it (and I also have, showing fiber-optic lines
>> on a board that were not part of the electronics) you could draw those
>> lines on a secondary layer. CAD systems and probably also gschem have
>> several drafting layers. Layers for nets, busses, pins, symbols, plus
>> usually some for text and graphics. Use one that is not going to show up
>> in the netlist and draw your hookup wiring there.
>
> Gschem doesn't have layers. It does have different style classes for
> line colours, but nothing like Autocad etc.

That might be an idea for the gschem "Dear Santa" list. In Eagle you can
draw on a lot of other layers, for example on the symbol layer. That is
very handy if, for example, you want to show fiber-optic signal flow on
a schematic which isn't really part of the circuit board.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.