Re: gEDA-user: PCB Renumber Was/Is Once Again

On Sep 23, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Mike Hansen wrote:

>   I brought up this topic a couple of years ago and left it for dead
> at
>   the time but now have the question again:
>
>   Is there a script that can be performed on a PCB design that will
>   renumber the components on the board in some spatial order(say
>   starting at the upper left hand corner of the board)?  It's easier
>   troubleshoot a board when the components are numbered in a spatially
>   logical order.  And then once it's renumbered to be able to spit
> out a
>   Was/Is list so that you can back annotate with gschem?
>
>   Or looking at it from the other direction, can the renumber script
> on
>   gschem provide a log of the Was/Is component names so that I can
>   manually update PCB?
>
>   I'm trying not to have to renumber everything by hand.
>
>   Thanks!

from an engineers prospective,  this renumbering hurts engineering
troubleshooting before product release when you have multiple
development releases.

But is a boon after the fact on a production run, for service issues,
MAKE SURE that the boards have VERY clear revision numbers  in copper
if posable too :-)

I have had people reworking boards replace the wrong component because
of a revision mistranslation.