Re: gEDA-user: My uEDA-designed open source hardware board works!

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 04:12 +0000, Michael Sokolov wrote:
[snip]
> Well, I have some news: I have finally got this board physically built
> (sent gerbers to fab, got PCBs back, populated one of them) and it works!
> So far I only have the CPU subsystem populated (not the SDSL part yet),
> but I still find it amazingly cool that I have an MC68302 microprocessor
> system designed by me, it's running at ~16.67 MHz with no extra wait
> states, 16-bit SRAM and flash, I've got a working serial console port
> and I'm talking to it: my own little M68K debug monitor running on my
> very own hardware design!

Congratulations!

[snip]

> * Being unhappy with the too-much-GUI-for-me EDA programs like gEDA, I
>   wrote my own non-GUI, non-WYSIWYG, totally Makefile-driven EDA system
>   (uEDA) to make this board and others in the future, and this board
>   project is naturally uEDA's first.  GUI-indoctrinated "professional
>   hardware engineer" types may scream in horror at the thought of
>   non-GUI, non-WYSIWYG EDA, yet I've designed a board of this complexity
>   with it and it works!

Well.. looking at it this way.. FPGA desiners use a lot of non-graphical
EDA design data with VHDL and verilog. That doesn't seem to stop them,
so I don't see why it shouldn't transfer for some aspects of electronics
design too. I'd have thought it applied more easily for digital, than
discrete analogue stuff though.

(I personally prefer a hybrid approach with FPGA design.. schematics for
high-level blocks showing the architecture, then VHDL for the innards.

Best wishes,

Peter C.