Re: gEDA-user: pcb minor release, C++ and Gtk cleanup

DJ Delorie wrote:
Time to plug-in a graphics card? Almost any nvidia model would do.

I have a pair of Nvidia 9800 GT cards in my box, and yet the plain X
Lesstif HID still blows everything else away.  The cards alone are
only part of the pipeline.
Do you have an explanation for this?

I thought that X is pure 2D and thus only primitive operations have to be computed for each span of a shape. On the other hand, a full GL-engine will do the 2D/3D transformations and span computations in hardware, so all the CPU has to supply is untransformed
vertices. What may slow down the GL version is transparency.

One big factor may be the R-tree acceleration built into the X implementation. This will be difficult to emulate, if one wants to use display lists in GL. Otoh
a sensible GL implementation will do frustum culling - so why?