Re: gEDA-user: new footprint guidelines

Rick Collins wrote:
I'm guessing here, but pick and place machine have to orientate the
part very fast, so it is important that they pick the component from
a principal axis of inertia. It is not always easy to determine where
the axis lies when the component is asymmetric, which is frequent with
power components.

For another example, look a DPAK or D2PAK components (SOT404, SOT428, etc).
I'm not even sure that they option a) would work, but it might be
a good default, provided you can override it.

Pick and place machine operators don't want you to tell them how to pick a part. All they want from you is to tell them where on the board to put it. That is why the XYRS file uses the centroid and not the center of mass.
I know that and was on the verge of replying the same. All I want is to make sure that I'll provide a correct description of the geometry. And now it's time for more
reading and less writing. Thanks again for sending me the standard.