Re: gEDA-user: GPLv3 question

On 10/6/2010 3:56 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>  And if you don't use a GPL library, just the GPL compiler, your
>  output can be sold, distributed without any source code.
Only because GCC's runtime libraries are specifically licensed to
allow that.

I wish this was obviously true, but it is not.

My interpretation of the GPLv3 GCC runtime exception is that if you link statically then you're covered by the exception. But read the text of the exception and try to come to that same conclusion when you're talking about libgcc.so or libstdc++.so. It's impossible. Many people close to the FSF agree that there's a problem, but I can't get an official position from the FSF itself.

AG (and IANAL, so don't consider this as real legal advice).