gEDA-user: My Xorg uses large amounts of CPU when using PCB

Hi all,

I don't know where to even start trying to figure out this problem. If you can give me a clue, I would very much appreciate it.

I have identical builds of a recent git version pcb on my laptop and desktop and a few other machines. PCB runs just fine on everything but my desktop. On the laptop, Xorg uses ~10% more CPU than PCB (so, if pcb is ~11% CPU then Xorg has ~12% CPU). But on the desktop, just zooming causes ~90% CPU for Xorg and 4% for pcb. Playing with firefox doesn't cause Xorg to even hit 1%, so it's definitely an Xorg<->pcb combination problem. Obviously, this causes extreme lag when using PCB.

I've had this problem for a couple years across different versions of PCB, but I finally upgraded my desktop recently (was stuck on ~2yr-old debian for unrelated reasons) and expected the problem to go away. No such luck. It may have even gotten worse.

My specs are below; perhaps there is some operation that PCB does that is ridiculously slow on radeon drivers? If this was PCB using up processor I'd know where to begin, but I know nothing about debugging Xorg...

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Cory

Laptop & Desktop both run Debian unstable with Linux 2.6.32 for 686, Xorg 1.7.7
Laptop uses intel driver for 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express
Desktop uses open-source radeon driver for Radeon 9250

Desktop is dual-monitor merged, but still has a problem with a single monitor setup. Using the vesa driver at a low refresh rate causes fast reaction, but Xorg is still using twice the CPU PCB is.