Re: gEDA-user: Installing gEDA from 20050820 Suite CD on Fedora

> DJ: Since you wear a Red Hat these days, are there people in your
> organization who might be interested in adopting some of these
> programs and submitting patches to get them to work with gcc-4.x?  I
> am most worried about GTKWave, which has been recently abandoned.

It's unlikely anyone at RH is at all interested in EDA tools in
general.  I'm an exception.  Heck, there's very few people who are
interested in *soldering* much less design.  Remember, we're a
software company.

Besides, what you really want is gcc engineers, not RH engineers.
Even then, they can be cpu-centric as most have a specific cpu they
maintain.  Plus, they're all busy with the free software they're
already contributing to :-)

Even myself, I put in what time I have available (which isn't much)
and only fix things that *I* trip over.  I'm not here to be a
philanthropist, I'm here to design my boards.  Fortunately, I happen
to like writing utility software.

Since GCC 4 can be installed in a private subdirectory on any machine,
my advice is to change the CVS head to require gcc 4 and make all the
gEDA developers upgrade.  Then, change the Makefiles to enable as many
-W options as you can.  Then add -Werror.  This probably isn't a
practical task, but it's the only advice I have.