Re: gEDA-user: Marketing gEDA - was - Re: Professional PCB help using geda?

I thought this snippet from of one of Paul Graham's essays
(http://www.paulgraham.com/colleges.html) might be relevant to this
discussion,

=====

There used to be a saying in the corporate world: "No one ever got
fired for buying IBM." You no longer hear this about IBM specifically,
but the idea is very much alive; there is a whole category of
"enterprise" software companies that exist to take advantage of it.
People buying technology for large organizations don't care if they
pay a fortune for mediocre software. It's not their money. They just
want to buy from a supplier who seems safe—a company with an
established name, confident salesmen, impressive offices, and software
that conforms to all the current fashions. Not necessarily a company
that will deliver so much as one that, if they do let you down, will
still seem to have been a prudent choice. So companies have evolved to
fill that niche.

=====

Real or not, I would reckon that there is a perceived risk in adopting
gEDA, even though in a lot of ways the risk is reduced (future
support, openness, etc.) The more gEDA success stories there are at a
*commercial* level, the lower the perceived risk will be. In what
other ways could the perceived risk be reduced?