gEDA-user: Text on silkscreen

My brain is getting a bit fried at the moment with new software overload.

I am having an issue with silk screens on PCB.

I can not turn off the silk screen legend (only switch between footprint
refdes and value) and I also can not delete the text on the silk screen.

I am making a board that is too small to have any silk screen at all and
the silk screen text obscures the traces too much to make working easy.

However if I turn of the silk screen completely (which I would prefer) I
can not drag/move components.

Is this normal behavior ?