Re: gEDA-user: Alarm clocks and switching regulators

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 14:36 -0600, John Doty wrote:

> The game is different with high voltage switchers using high Q
> components like polypropylene capacitors but you don't intend to go
> there today, I hope ;-)

I'm just starting to learn this testing 1.7kV half-bridge devices which
switch unreasonably fast! The polyprop cap across the bridge seems to
want to ring with the parasitic L going back from the test board to the
main DC link, which has its own MLC ceramics and Al Electrolytic bulk.

I'm seeing high current edges fast enough that I'm wondering if I need
to start thinking of my power tracks as transmission lines! They are
certainly effective enough radiators of EMI.

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,