gEDA-user: OS X fink install of gschem failed

Hi,
    I'm trying to put the gschem-gsch2pcb-pcb-gerbv tool flow onto my
MacBook.  Following http://www.ghz.cc/charles/fink/ everything seems to
go smoothly, and pcb and gerbv seem to start up OK.  gschem is not
happy, however. The menus are broken pictures, the status box is full of
"Tried to set the sensitivity on a non-existent menu item", and the
terminal windows contains these messages:

Probably parenthesis mismatch in /sw/etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc
Most recently read form: (#@load (build-path geda-rc-path gschem-darkbg))
Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]
Tried to get an invalid color: 0
Tried to get an invalid color: 0
Tried to get an invalid color: 7
Tried to get an invalid color: 0
Tried to get an invalid color: 7

So... I'm new to this whole fink thing (Slackware user transitioning to
Gentoo) so while I know this is a lame question, I need a clue as to
where to dig next.

-dave