gEDA-user: Arc to line connections?

I am trying to draw connections to pads with arcs, so that I can use
the puller.  (The normal -- not global -- puller only works with
arc/line intersections, right?)  The manual says I can just switch
tools in the middle of a trace using the right keys (F2/F3 in the
lesstif HID).  This works when going from a straight line to an arc,
but when I try switching from arc to line it does not work properly.
It switches to the line tool, but cancels the current trace, so that I
have to manually click on the same point again.  When I'm using a fine
grid setting, it can be quite difficult to make sure I hit the same
point.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?  I'm using the
lesstif interface and the latest release (20070912).

Of course, I also don't feel like I have a good handle on the puller
tool yet.  Any tips on how to use it properly?  I gater the idea is
mostly to reduce trace lengths by using truly straight paths, rather
than confining everything to 45-deg increments.  Of course, I can use
all-direction lines for that, so the main advantage of the puller
seems to be in avoiding sharp corners.  Are most folks out there still
using 45-deg lines, or are we starting to transition to "ugly" boards
with lines going every which way?  Professional boards seem to use
only 45-deg increments -- just judging by what I see when I open up
computers and consumer products.

--
Randall