Re: gEDA-user: ping 2

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 08:21 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >> My!...  Early riser in Florida?  ..or are you up watching the AFL
> >> (Australian Rules footie) grand final?
> >>
> > No one is watching the AFL grand final.  They are getting all
> > rested up
> > waiting for the real football grand final :D
>
>    ...while some of us are doing other stuff while wondering why some
> people like to watch grown men chase a ball around in the grass! ;)
>
>           -Dave

Well I saw about 20 mins of it this season... Just enough to remind me
that I am more interested in this stuff...

Just to turn the OT discussion around, something of interest to you
buzzing clock guys...
My ipcop firewall has been dropping & raising its ADSL connection a
couple of times a day for several months.  I suspected possibly the RED
NIC as it is an old SMC 10baseT PCI that I think had the 'sniper'
firmware bug (would mangle the MAC dst under the right conditions).  It
connects to an Alcatel Speedtouch 530 ADSL modem via PPPOE.

Turns out it wasn't the culprit.  It all went down for good the other
night.  After I power cycled the Alcatel modem, I could see from the LED
sequence that it was restarting its sync procedure about 1sec after it
acquired sync.  Power supply sag methinks.

I broke open the modem to find an internal SMPS that had 2x 1000uF 6.3V
PCB mount electros with a tell-tale domed top indicating they had
experienced excessive electrolyte pressure.  They are labeled:
1000uF
6.3V
SC105
11/02
A3
TEAPO

A pair of 105deg 1000uF/16V that I got of WES Components a couple of
years ago were still short enough to fit under the hood so in they went.
Fixed.  Happy.  No buzzes.
--
Greg