Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

On 09/04/2010 10:04 PM, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
3) Connectivity information: include the connection information
between line segments, similar to (but not necessarily exactly!) SVG
format, where multiple points and arcs can be included in one line.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think the rule of least
surprise dictates that line segments be line segments, since that is
how they are manipulated.
If you are familiar with mechanical CAD packages, they would be called 'polylines': connected line segments/arcs which otherwise have the same characteristics. I often find myself editing the PCB file in a text editor and it's a real pain to find connected traces, as they are scattered over the entire file.
5) Ability to lock any portion of the location coordinate, either in
absolute or relative to another entity (line segment locked to
pin/pad, components locked to the same Y coordinate, etc) - rather
than just specifying an absolute coordinate.
More generally, we should support creating "groups" of components
that can be transformed and manipulated as a collection. However,
I'm not sure how much functionality this would give on top of the
functional-block proposal.
This idea encompasses a component group: the XYRS data of each of these components would be locked to a 'base' component. When the base component is moved, all of the components are moved.