Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 12:48 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > We have lines starting with a letter followed by up to 16 decimal
> > numbers
>
> We are NOT going with another position-determines-meaning file format.

May I suggest that while deciding on a file format and choosing how it
will work it would be good to consider the diffs that will be generated
when managing a projecting using an SCM. I have thought about this a
little bit and it does seem like it'll never be possible to make it
amazing but I'm sure improvements over the current format can be made.

It would be great to be able to look at a diff and instantly see that a
component was moved or that a few traces were moved from one layer to
another. At the moment even the smallest of changes creates large and
complicated diffs, sometimes with lots of unrelated changes. An example
of this can be seen at [1] where a single footprint was moved from one
side of the board to the other. The commit message is fine for saying
what has changed but it's important to be able to review changes made
before committing.

Thanks,
Richard

[1]