Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 09:18:01PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>
>> > But when each parameter in the file has a name, than file size may
>> > become really large, e.g. for files generated with the topological
>> > router, with lot of arcs.
>>
>> Compression.  Either gzip the text file, or use an alternate binary
>> file (smaller *and* faster).
>>

> Between the two of those, I think compression is the better option.
> That way there's nothing to keep in sync, external tools and scripts
> simply need to stick a gzip filter on each end, and it's fast.
>
> But I think it should be optional, since if we zip the .pcb files,
> we no longer have simple diffs, which to a lot of people would be
> more important than small files.

Did you know?
I can name a few modern formats that are .zip and have no problems.
examples:
Office 2010 .docx/xlsx/etc
OpenOffice files
Android apk
Java .jar
A number of closed-source windows games
etc.

wahh wahh, i cant zip shit wahhhh wahh,, make it a clickable options
in preferences and those who "diff" their PCB designs are welcome to
keep them uncompressed