gEDA-user: gschem auto-uref.scm increment behavior

>> Noobie alert <<

I have just installed from source geda-gaf-1.6.1 on Ubuntu Karmic (using
checkinstall). I am having a bit of difficulty getting auto-uref.scm to behave
as expected:
* When placing parts, refdes values start at 2 and go up by even numbers.
* The refdes for copy/pasted parts also take on even values--whether the
existing part being copied has an odd or even refdes.

My gschemrc is as follows:

(log-window "later")
;
;(define default-titleblock "cvstitleblock-1.sym")
(define default-titleblock "title-bordered-A3.sym")
;
(load (build-path geda-rc-path "gschem-colormap-lightbg"))
;
(sort-component-library "enabled")
;
(load (build-path geda-rc-path "/scheme/auto-uref.scm"))
(add-hook! add-component-hook auto-uref)
(add-hook! copy-component-hook auto-uref)

Am I doing something stupid or is this normal behavior for auto-uref.scm?

-M