Re: gEDA-user: QFN soldering

There are a number of different QFN package styles. Some have pads only on the bottom, others have pads that wrap around the up the side a bit. These tend to be easier to hand solder since you have a place to contact with the solder iron. Sounds like yours don't have that plus they have a thermal pad on the bottom. If the thermal pad isn't required for an electrical connection, and you don't need to use the full power capability of the package, you can likely live without soldering the thermal pad for a prototype. But check the data sheet carefully. Sometimes they require you to provide an electrical connection. Is this a power supply devices? Those are the ones that are most demanding I've found.

The assembly houses use a hot air tool. It heats up the entire part and everything in the immediate area such as the board. The solder flows, the part settles down onto the board and all is good.

Rick