Re: gEDA-user: PCB footprints & polygons question

Many thanks for clarifications!

> Activate "New polygons are full ones" in the settings menu to disable
> removal of islands for new polygons. For existing polgons you can add
> the fullpoly flag in a text editor.
>
> Note to Peter Clifton: This does not work in the OpenGL enables
> version. Polygon snippets are removed no matter what the fullpoly flag
> says.

OK, I new about ""New polygons are full ones" setting but I'm using openGL version. I will try "official" one :-).

> In pcb polygons do not have a preferred net. Instead, it is connected
> to whatever connects to it. See the FAQ:
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#how_can_i_connect_tracks_pads_or_vias_to_my_polygon
>
> Because a polygon does not know, what net it should connect to, it
> cannot automatically add thermals. You have to add them manually. The
> same goes for tracks. You don't have to add the join flag individually
> for every segment, though:
>
> 1) Select all GND tracks with the net window. Alternatively type [f] on
> on a GND track to select all connected copper.
>
> 2) Type [:] to bring up the command line interface. Give the command
> SetFlag(selected, join)

I heard about this method before, and I also heard about a plug in to add thermals. If I remember correctly the plug in had some problems on my boards. I tried to look into the code, but no success :-(. I think that there is no good manual for writing pcb plugins available. I think that I will try again in future.

> During manual routing pcb highlights all objects with the same net as
> the point you started at. The setting "auto_enforece_DRC_clearence" has
> to be activated to make this work.

Thank You for the tip!

Michael W.